Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cafe Time

Cafes in Korea are on the steady rise due to a popular Korean TV drama. I believe it resembled a very tame Sex in the City, with pretty women meeting at coffee shop to discuss their problems. Koreans don't generally use cafes like libraries like college students are wont to do in the US, spreading out their life's homework, cell phone, laptop, settling down to spend the entire day steadily chugging coffee and writing an essay due the next day on James Joyce or economic policies. They are supposed to be social places to meet with friends, have a drink, and leave.

anyway, they have meticulously created some beautiful spaces for people to chill with one another in Jeonju. Like 11:19 in Chuncheon, there are two cafes with such ambiance and good drinks, you'll definitely be visiting them if you come see me.

1) Cafe Haruilgi in 시네 (downtown). Decked out like a kitschy antique store in the US, it serves a wicked plate of waffles and ice cream, makes a beautiful cafe latte, and has a nice selection of wines and beers. The first time i came here, I poured out my soul to two of my Jeonju friends. Teaching was a bit rough and I needed their council. Second time, this weekend, I went to Jenny and Julie. We shared a bottle of red and had brownies with ice cream on top.

2) Naruita in 전북대 (university area). Looks like a cross between Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters turned cafe. They have a ginormous 밭빙수 (patpingsu) and really fabulous 녹차 (green tea) smoothie/frappuccino. There are little hideaways with pillows on the ground and a little loft where people can share their drinks.

so the next time I get the urge to go and study in some cafe, and return to my american college student roots, I think I'll feel a little more comfortable in these posh, adorable little cafes. Also, they're open late, so for a chill night, they're my new favorite hang out.

No comments:

Post a Comment