Friday, August 21, 2009

Jeonju.... first days

This is a short blip about my time in Jeonju so far.....

I am teaching 20 50min periods, + 2 extra smaller discussion groups. Total, this is 18.3 - 22 hours. They said they would pay me extra for teaching the 2 smaller classes.

I have taught two days so far. The first day was a bit of a disaster. After giving a speech (about 2 min in hangukoh that I really didn't know what I was saying and 3 minutes in English) to all the teachers and principals, and once again to all the students over their school-wide tv system, I taught two classes of 2nd grade boys. They were so rowdy and completely uninterested in my 20 questions/index card introduction. I had no control over the classroom, even though co-teachers were present in both classes. I felt really discouraged, even though i had a very nice bulgogi lunch with all the English teachers. Then, that afternoon, I had my small discussion class. It was 15 students that were advanced level. They were incredible and restored my faith. It was like the classrooms that I grew up learning in.

Friday,. I taught two sections of 1st grade boys and 1 section of 1st grade girls. I prepared a better/new lesson the night before in hopes of reigning in the rowdiness. They were much better. This new lesson was much better received. The students were less rowdy in general, I think. I feel more confident now, but I am still anxious about teaching 2nd grade boys. I know they are nice students, but they just seemed like SUCH a challenge to teach.

luckily, I have several teachers willing to help me a lot. My co-teacher Yuta is incredible. She's very helpful and sweet. She will send me texts saying she misses seeing me. The other young female English teacher, Ahn, is also amazing. we went to the traditional village in Jeonju together one day. She also helped me set up my bank account. Also, another older man English teacher, Mun, has offered me private hangukoh lessons twice a week during free periods. We also grabbed beers together last night.

The host family is very comfortable. The parents do not speak English really. We have to do some charades or rely on the eldest sister (1st grade hs) to translate. The younger two sisters (elem 5th and 6th grades) can speak english, but not as well. I think that as i study korean more, things will get less awkward.

Also, I find that having siblings for the first time is exciting and challenging. I woke up this morning to very LOUD, INSISTENT knocks on my door. It was 8 am on a Saturday morning. when I got out of bed to answer (after yelling... Ne...Ne.....??), I found the two younger girls sitting in the living room studying. I poked my head out and asked what was happening. They didn't respond at first. Then they haltingly told me there was breakfast... then shower.... then something... mumble, mumble..... ok..... I am sooo not a morning person and this was testing my patience. Finally, the youngest sister was uncomfortable and said.... SHOWER. As in, a command, Go Shower. Ok. Then I tried to ask as nicely as possible, "After I'm done with my shower, explain to me why?" Then the older sister said... there would be no water after 9 am... Hm.....


Anyway, i need to get ready to go to Suncheon right now, about a 3 hour drive south to the ocean. We will play on the beach ....


1 comment:

  1. for real though, i hope your "ocean" experience ends up being better than mine

    ReplyDelete